Schedule 1 Facilities Class Action

The Schedule 1 Facilities Class Action settlement was approved by the Superior Court of Justice on April 25, 2016.


The lawsuit says the Province of Ontario, who was in charge of the facilities (institutions), failed to properly care for and protect the people who lived in the institutions. The lawsuit says the people who lived there were emotionally, physically and psychologically traumatized by their experiences.  The Province of Ontario denies these claims.




The lawsuit is for people who were alive as of June 16, 2012 and had lived at one or more of the following institutions, or at any place the institutions put people before they were discharged, between the dates listed.


Estate trustees of persons who lived there but died after June 16, 2012 are also included in the lawsuit.


If you aren’t sure if you lived at one of these institutions or if you are part of the settlement, please call 1-866-442-4465 (TTY users can call 1-877-627-7027).


Durham Centre for the Developmentally Handicappedbetween April 1, 1974 - Sept. 28, 1986Prince Edward Heightsbetween Jan. 1, 1971 - Dec. 31, 1999Bluewater Centrebetween April 1, 1976 - Dec. 20, 1983St. Lawrence Regional Centrebetween April 1, 1975 - June 30, 1983L.S. Penrose Centrebetween April 1, 1974 - March 31, 1977 D’Arcy Placebetween Sept. 1, 1963 - Dec. 31, 1996Midwestern Regional Centrebetween Sept. 1, 1963 - March 31, 1998Oxford Regional Centrebetween April 1, 1974 - March 31, 1996 or in the “Mental Retardation Unit” or “MR Unit” between Jan, 1, 1969 - March 31, 1974 Adult Occupational Centrebetween Jan. 1, 1966 - March 31, 1999 Muskoka Centrebetween Aug. 28, 1973 - June 30, 1993 Northwestern Regional Centrebetween April 1, 1974 - March 31, 1994 Pine Ridgebetween Sept. 1, 1963 - Aug. 31, 1984 


The Settlement is only for people who are in the Class.  If you are not sure if you are included you can call 1-866-442-4465 or email for help.




YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND OPTIONS AT THIS STAGEDo NothingGet out of this lawsuit and get no benefits from the proposed settlement. Keep your ability to sue individually.

If you ask to be removed (opt out) you will not be able to share in any money from the proposed settlement. But, you keep any rights to sue the Province of Ontario on your own about the same legal claims in this lawsuit. Click here for more information on how to remove yourself (opt out).
If you want to stay in the lawsuit but you don't want the settlement approved, you can object to the settlement. If you want to object to the settlement, you have to write to the Court and tell them why. You should send your written objection to the Class Action Administrator. You can ask to talk at the court hearing on April 25. Click here for more information on how to make an objection.Automatically stay in this lawsuit and wait for the outcome of the hearing on April 25. Share in possible benefits from the proposed settlement but give up certain individual rights.

By doing nothing, you keep the possibility of getting money from the settlement if it is approved. But, you give up any rights to sue the Province of Ontario on your own about the same legal claims in this lawsuit.
Remove Yourself (Opt Out)Object to the Settlement


Asking for Money from the Settlement:


To ask for money you need to fill out a claim form and send it to the Administrator by February 28, 2017.   A family member or support person can help you fill out the claim, or you can call the Administrator for help at 1-866-442-4465 or TTY users can call 1-877-627-7027.


You must submit a separate claim form for each institution you lived in. For more information on how to make a claim please click here.


Please take your time to fill in the claim form to make sure that you include everything you want to say.